For up-to-date information about our progress, please view our Facebook!

Circumcision

Chambers to which citizens can get into deep discussions and friendly debates with other citizens.

Topic author
Obsidian
Empress of Kaeska

Circumcision

Post by Obsidian » Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 pm

What is circumcision?
As defined by WebMD, circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head of the penis. It originated through religious rites and many parents today have their sons circumcised for religious or health reasons.

However, many parents despise the idea of circumcision and many circumcised men have also expressed their outrage of their own mother cutting them as an infant and never being able to actually choose for themselves to stay intact or agree to be circumcised.

Is circumcision necessary?
The medical or health reasons for circumcising is an issue that continues to be debated by many people. Some people will argue that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but some people will also argue that the life and death risks of circumcision outweigh the risks.

What are the medical benefits of circumcisions?
Some doctors believe that there are some evidence of health benefits, including:
  • A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
  • A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men.
  • Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
  • Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
  • Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
However, if a person does their research and break down the above health benefits, one could easily think that perhaps circumcision might not be required for their son.

Urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria that get inside your urinary tract. Most bacteria that enter your urinary tract are expelled when you urinate, but if the bacteria stays in your urinary tract, you could get an infection.
Ways to reduce your risk of getting a urinary tract infection is to drink plenty of water and other liquids (to help flush out bacteria), don't delay urinating (if you need to use the restroom then go), urinate soon after having sexual intercourse, and drinking cranberry juice is often recommended.

Some sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented by the use of a condom. Proper care of the foreskin can prevent bacteria from collecting and transferring transmitted diseases to the partner.

Balanitis can be a symptom of lichen planus, eczema, dermatitis, or psoriasis. Treatment for balanitis depends on the cause. Medications can assist with an allergic reaction, candida, or bacterial infection causes. Phimosis and recurrence is the only one listed that the doctor may suggest circumcision if balanitis keeps occurring.
Balanoposthitis is caused by skin disorders, infection, poor hygiene, uncontrolled diabetes, and harsh soaps.

Phimosis can be caused by an infection, or by the scar tissued that formed as a result of injury or chronic inflammation. Blanitis is also another cause of phimosis, which leads to scarring and tightness of the foreskin.

Paraphimosis is an uncommon medical condition. It's when the foreskin becomes trapped behind the glans penis, and cannot be reduced.

What are the risks of circumcision?
With any surgical procedure, there are risks with circumcisions and many doctors will say that the risks are low.
These risks include:
  • Pain
  • Bleeding and infection
  • Irritation of the glans
  • Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
  • Risk of injury to the penis
What are the complications of circumcision?
  • >> Death
    Although extremely rare occurrence, there have been many cases to where parents have lost their infants due to blood loss because of circumcision. An infant only needs to lose 1 ounce of blood to hemorrhage and just 2.3 ounces to die as a result of his blood loss.
  • >> Bleeding
    This is the most common complication of circumcision and parents will always need to dress the wound properly to keep it clean.
  • >> Infection
    Wound infection occurs infrequently due to the blood supply of the penis. Taking careful care of the wound and making sure the infant has a fresh diaper will prevent infections.
  • >> Loss of Skin/Wound Dehiscence
    Injuries of the shaft are possible and could result in the male having a smaller length that he should have had without the circumcision. Not all men experience this, however.
  • >> Meatitis/Meatal Stenosis
    The erythema of the meatus commonly occurs after circumcision as a result of irritation. Meatitis is commonly a self-limited problem, but can be easily treated with antibiotic ointment and keeping the area dry.
Sources
WARNING: Some of the links provided contain graphic imagery.

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/ ... rcumcision
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253617/
https://en.wikipedia.org
Rights, Ownership and Medical Necessities
All over the internet there has been a form of debate on baby rights, baby ownership and medical needs of the infant. Some mothers claim that since she gave birth to the baby, she has the right to make the decision based off the views by the doctor which in most cases does not go into elaborate details of all the preventions you could take if you chose not to circumcise your son. It's common sense in most cases. In most cases, an infant doesn't necessarily need to be circumcised if there proper care of the foreskin by the parent(s).

Now, there are some cases, due to family medical history, that it is wiser to have the male circumcised. In most cases, one is unable to determine this while the child is young, so the procedure is usually recommended in older boys. Sometimes as far as into their adulthood.

My Questions for You
Would you circumcise your son?
If it is not medically necessary, do you think the parents have the right to circumcise their son?
My body, my right/decision. Does this most common phrase include infants -- my son, my right/decision?
To the males:
If you are circumcised, do you wish that you had the choice or are you happy with your parent(s) decision?
If you are intact, do you wish that your parent(s) made the decision to circumcise you when you were younger?

REMINDER
I will ask that everyone be civilized in this thread and that there are no right or wrong answers. This is a friendly debate between users with opposing opinions who would like to discuss about this topic.

Kaderin Triste
Circumcision

Post by Kaderin Triste » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:35 am

"Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners."
Now this point confused me quite a bit. So doctors are implying that foreskin has cancer-causing properties?

As far as the questions you are posing...
In a hypothetical world where I have a son, no, I probably would not have my son circumcised unless there was a legitimate medical necessity for it.
I had to give the "parent's right" question a good deal of thought, but I also have decided that it should not be a choice the parents make unless, as already stated, it is medically necessary. Intentionally putting a child's life at risk (no matter how small the risk may be) when there isn't no real cause for it is something I might go so far as to say is bad parenting. I don't intend to offend by that statement, it's just how I see it.
It is a decision that should be allowed to be made by the child once they are an adult (or old enough to understand the serious nature and permanence of their decision).

Topic author
Obsidian
Empress of Kaeska

Circumcision

Post by Obsidian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:50 am

Yeah, that medical belief confused me a bit as well during my research (believe it was the webmd that had that theory). I kind of want to know what doctor came up with that and what sort of proof he/she had in that because I just don't see it actually being possible.

I don't believe your statement being offensive. I agree with you 100%.
I only have daughters (I won't ever have a son because I had the doctors remove my Fallopian tubes after my second "surprise" daughter was born). I won't even pierce my daughters ears until they make that choice to do so. My oldest daughter (7 years old now) originally wanted her ears pierced when she was 5 but backed out when we got to Walmart then she finally went through when she turned 6 years old and now loves being able to wear earrings. I now have a 6 month old and I'll do the same with her as I did my first child.
So if I ever did had a son (by some miracle, lol), I would not circumcise him, either.

Tho I have read about recent studies of circumcision repairs but they're not 100% effective right now.

Kater

Circumcision

Post by Kater » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

If I have a son I wouldn't circumcize him. The needless mutilation of an infant is just gross. It's not as big of a surgery as say the mutilation of a intersex infant for the purpose of making them conform to one gender or the other, but it's still unnecessary and not okay in my opinion.

I've known guys who aren't circumsized, but wish they were because apparently it's the norm and girls are weirded out by their foreskin. That was back when they were teenagers and trying to be cool and get laid; I don't know if their opinion is changed now that they're older and in steady relationships.

Topic author
Obsidian
Empress of Kaeska

Circumcision

Post by Obsidian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I do have to admit, the first time I saw an intact penis (I viewed one online, never seen one in person but then again I've never really inspected penis' lol) it did strike me as odd and I had preferred drawing the circumcision penis' in my art but after awhile, I kind of got over it and I'll draw either/or depending on what's preferred by the buyer or whichever I want to do at that time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic